The Hickory Smoked Barbecue Capital of the World
Lexington, North Carolina is the Barbecue Capital of the world. The barbecue is legendary. We invite everyone to come to Uptown Lexington where we provide more than 100,000 people with the finest exhibits, the most exciting entertainment, and of course, the Best Barbecue in the world!
- Lexington's first barbecue restaurant opened in 1919.
- The first annual Barbecue Festival in Lexington was on October 27, 1984.
- In 1984, barbecue chefs cooked 3,000 pounds of barbecue at the Barbecue Festival.
- The City of Lexington and Davidson County officially declared October as "Barbecue" month.
- Events that are held during the month of October include the Tour de Pig, a golf tournament, a tennis tournament, the Hawg run, and the Barbecue Cheer-Off.
- In Lexington, today's barbecue recipes are only slightly different than the ones used over sixty years ago.
- Today, the annual Barbecue Festival attracts more than 150,000 visitors.
- The Barbecue Festival is sponsored by a variety of businesses in the City of Lexington, Davidson County, as well as other corporate sponsors.